I came across ants building a tower (mound) and when you look down from the top, it looks like a donut with sprinkles.
This ant mound got my attention because I have never seen mounds like this one. You can see in the side view photo that this ant mound looks more like a tower. It was about 1 inch tall.
How I Got The Shot: Ants Making Donuts With Sprinkles
These tiny ants were on a country road here in Arkansas near the Ouachita National Forest. I photographed the ant mound from above and from the side while hand-holding my camera and lens.
- Camera: Fujifilm X-T3
- Lens: Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (attached with a Fringer EF-FX Pro)
- Location: Ouachita Mountains (Arkansas)
- Date and Time Taken: September 4, 2020 (2:55:52 P.M.)
- Aperture Priority
- Aperture: f8.0
- Shutter speed: 1/640 sec. (as determined by the camera)
- ISO: 800
- White Balance: Auto
- Metering Mode: Multi
- Back-button Focus
- Single Point Focus
- Exposure Compensation: +0.33
- Focal Length: 400 mm
- Processed With Luminar 4