I made this American Black Vulture Portrait while at the Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma. It was perched low in a tree near the auto tour road.
A pair of these Black Vultures and several Turkey Vultures were eating something dead in the roadway.
American Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus)
I read on rare occasions, the black vulture will eat deer or animals. It is the sole New World vulture species that feeds on cattle. It occasionally bothers cows who are giving birth, but mostly it preys on lambs and calves that are just being born.
- Camera: Canon EOS R7
- Lens: RF 800mm F11 IS STM
- Location: Sequoyah National Wildlife Refuge (Oklahoma)
- Date and Time Taken: January 5, 2023 (11:55 A. M.)
- Exposure Mode: Manual
- Aperture: f11
- Shutter speed: 1/1250
- ISO: 2500 (Auto)
- White Balance: Auto
- Metering Mode: Evaluative
- Back-button Focus
- Animal Eye Single Point Auto Focus
- Exposure Compensation: 0 EV
- Focal Length: 800 mm